Friday 16 November 2012

Coke Bottle #1

Update 23 October 2017 - Dear Reader, please check out my new puzzle blog and e-store at http://mechanical-puzzles.com

I was never really into impossible objects, usually just treating them as more of items for viewing amusement. But after solving Wil Strijbos' IPP32 Exchange Puzzle, I found that I actually enjoyed playing with the puzzle very much. Hence I decided to put in an order for three of Wil's Coke Bottle puzzles. The first one reviewed here is the Coke Bottle #1. There are, it appears a total of ten Coke bottle puzzles in the whole series according to Allard.


Like most of Wil's bottle puzzles, this one consist of a standard 250ml empty Coke bottle, within which sits a red plastic rod. The end at the bottom of the bottle has a screw and bolt through it; this prevents the rod from being removed through the narrow mouth of the bottle. Inside the bottle is also a large steel ball bearing. The object here of course is to extract the ball bearing, which is blocked from coming out of the bottle by the rod.

The whole bottle set-up looks rather simple, but I had read the prior reviews of Oli and Kevin and it appeared that this bottle puzzle was going to be anything but easy. It took me the better part of a whole evening before I managed to figure out the four steps needed to get the ball bearing out. The solution (while on hindsight seems simple) is nonetheless tricky and quite unexpected.

As with such puzzles, a fair amount of dexterity is also required, apart from just analysing how the puzzle could be solved.  I found re-assembly of the puzzle to be just as hard if not harder than the solving but managed to return the bottle to its original state after some time. As I understand, this is one of Wil's easier bottle puzzles, so I expect to have a much harder time with my other two Coke bottles. So stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. You solved yours in an evening!! It took me months and months before I finally solved mine! I'm very impressed! I will be interested to hear how you get on with the others!

    Kevin
    PuzzleMad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen one like above but with no ball & two bolts, one above the other & perpendicular to it? I have it & am not sure if it is a puzzle made to be opened, as there is nothing else in there & no other stick or anything with it, or if it is just an impossible bottle, not designed to be removed. Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a bamboo skewer & took it apart easily in about 8 minutes, as the bolts threads were a bit tight & put it back together, but it didn't come with a stick, so I think it was designed as just a trick bottle & not a puzzle, but if he wanted it to stay together, he should have glued the threads or at least tightened them a lot. It is signed D. Hayes 10-20-93. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I have not see a bottle as the one you have described. Is it a normal coke bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's a normal bottle, no holes or anything, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know where you can buy this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one came from Wil Strijbos. PM me if you would like to contact him to get one

      Delete
  7. To get the nut off was easy. But somehow the bold is sticked in the rod. It moves about 1mm and cannot turn. Has anyone a small hint for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised. Once the nut is off the bolt should be able to pass through the rod fairly easily.

      Delete