Thursday 1 January 2015

Karakuri Christmas Present #4 - Confetto Box 2

Update 23 October 2017 - Dear Reader, please check out my new puzzle blog and e-store at http://mechanical-puzzles.com

A Very Happy New Year everyone! 

Here's my first post for 2015...on my fourth and last Karakuri Christmas present which I received a couple of weeks back last Christmas.



This puzzle box was designed and made by Hiroshi Iwahara from the Karakuri Creation Group. 

This box is made (most likely) from Walnut with a different (unidentifiable) wood for the internals. There are also a number of steel parts (rods) inside the puzzle. Nothing more to add about its quality and construction other than its excellently made with very tight tolerances throughout. Everything moves and slides smoothly as intended.

This first three presents (see my last three blog posts) were very easy to solve, including #2 the "New Parcel Cube" from Akio Kamei, which was the hardest of the three. The Confetto Box here surpasses the previous three in terms of difficulty. In fact when I first played with it for the first few minutes...I said to myself...hmm, this one looks like a tough one!



The goal of this puzzle is to slide the side panels of the box (partially) open, as shown in the photo. To do this, the first moving panel needs to be found, which I did, after a bit of pushing here and there on all the sides. Thereafter I slowly discovered the rest, but not without some experimentation (and difficulty) especially for the first couple of panels.

In a way its similar to a traditional multiple-moves Japanese puzzle box. However, Iwahara's box is different in that there is greater (and more subtle) "interaction" between the panels, facilitated by the internal mechanism, which makes this puzzle not that easy. It takes a bit to understand how the puzzle is suppose to work. I am still not too sure how the internal mechanism functions (although I have a vague idea) as only a glimmer of the insides is visible. Peeking in, all I can tell is that it looks pretty intricate. 

And unlike the more typical traditional box, there is also no internal space or cavity (for storage of small items) to be found as none of the panels on the Confetto box can slide more than a quarter open. It would appear the box was intended solely as a puzzle. Well, unless I am way off tangent here, the solved state of the puzzle is the one as shown in the photo above. 

If anyone who owns this box knows otherwise and has managed to go beyond this stage, please PM me.

[Edit 1st Jan 2015 - Apparently what I have solved above is only half the solution to the Confetto Box 2. Peter Hajek had emailed me after reading my post to say he had reached the stage I was at and that he believed there was a hidden compartment in the Box. A short while later, he emailed again to let me know he had solved the Box fully. He very kindly gave me some instructions and following them, I also managed to solve it. 



The Confetto Box 2 is much more difficult than anticipated and is definitely the hardest of my four presents. Just look at the intricate and complicated internals and you can see the work and craftsmanship that went into the puzzle. A really great puzzle box. For the price, also a lot of puzzling and value for money]

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jerry... I think you'll find one of the panels will come off - it really is a box! :-) - allard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allard, thanks...yes..two other puzzlers have just emailed me about this too. Someone else is also stuck like me...

      Delete
    2. Hi
      I can agree with Jerry it is real a nice interacting paneel box with a new mechanism inside; very good made and a very nice ahaa effect

      Delete