Monday, 8 June 2015

Cube+

Cube+ is my first experience with this sort "shape forming" puzzle. This puzzle came to me courtesy of David Goodman during the IPP34 Puzzle Exchange in London last year.


I am not sure what the wood used is, but it looks pretty well made by Gaya Game (this is the first time I have come across this online seller and they have a pretty decent catalog of products). 
Challenge #1 - Use all 7 pieces

The puzzle contains seven pieces comprising three congruent pairs. Each piece per pair consists of five units. The seventh piece is two units long. There are two challenges here; the first is to use all seven pieces to form a typical "burr" shape and the second is to find six pieces to form a 3 x 3 x 3 cube. As of late, there are quite a number of these designs from various puzzlers the goal which is to form a 3D symmetrical shape of one type or another.

Challenge #2 - Use 6 of the 7 pieces

For some strange reason I started off with the second challenge and oddly enough, I managed to solve the puzzle rather quickly within twenty minutes or so of fiddling. However I took well over forty five minutes for the first challenge which I thought would be the easier challenge since all seven pieces have to be used. 

I won't say the puzzle is by any means easy but its not that overly difficult either. And I am happy to report I didn't have to resort to Burr Tools! There must be only one unique solution to either challenge also, I would assume. For both challenges, especially the first, some logical thinking rather than random assembly would certainly help with the solve.

6 comments:

  1. You don't have a Soma cube? All puzzlers should have one in their collection. It was my second experience of a shape forming puzzle with the Tangram having been the first! Don't tell me you don't have one of those either? ;-)

    Kevin
    Puzzlemad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, believe it or not, I really don't own a Soma cube...hmm, maybe I should start looking for one

      Delete
    2. I bought this one but Dave has quite a few others:
      Soma craftsman edition

      Kevin
      Puzzlemad

      Delete
    3. Rather than just a Soma, you might want to check out the Zobrist Cube set - IMHO lots of value for about $40.
      Regards,
      Rob

      Delete
    4. Thanks Kevin and Rob for your suggestions

      Delete
    5. Gaya Game has a coin release puzzle called Coin Problem that also looks intriguing. But looks like they don't ship outside Israel. Perhaps some special pleading will work.



      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...