Saturday, 13 August 2011

Bougie

The word "Bougie" (thanks to Oli for letting me know) is French for spark-plug. 

I acquired this Jean Claude Constantine designed puzzle from PuzzleMaster. Made out of what I think is Paduak, the puzzle consists of a spark-plug enclosed by an orange coloured wooden frame with two horizontal metal rods running across from one side of the frame to other. The puzzle is slightly larger than a standard spark-plug and measures about 3 7/8 inches tall, 1 7/8 inches wide and 1 inch in depth. Overall the puzzle is relatively well made with a nice finish. The only complain I have is that the rods have some slight scratches and marks which I can't seem to get rid of. As to whether the spark-plug is usable, that unfortunately I cannot tell, although the spark-plug does look new and shinny.

The object of the puzzle is of course to get the spark-plug out of its framed enclosure. PuzzleMaster rates it as a level 6 and I agree. For someone with experience with puzzles, it is relatively easy to discover the solution; the kind of mechanism which is familiar and common to several other wooden puzzles.  This is one of those puzzles which somehow I knew what to do the moment I unpacked it and managed to get the spark-plug out in almost a jiffy.

From a puzzling aspect, it does not provide too much of a challenge for any puzzle enthusiast. But from a display standpoint, I think it is a rather unique combination of wood and metal, and definitely will get a conversation started. 

Calling all spark-plug manufacturers out there - Bosch, Denso, Autolite, Champion, NGK etc - use this puzzle to showcase your brand! But of course don't forget the royalty payments to Mr JCC.

2 comments:

  1. The word 'Bougie' is French for spark plug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oli, thanks. I first thought it must mean something related to the spark plug but couldn't find any reference on the internet on this...maybe my search was wrong.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...