Saturday 2 January 2016

69

Name
69

Designer
Jerry Loo

Manufacturer
Handmade by Lacika Kmolnar from Hungary. He has designed several puzzles including the popular L-I-vator Cube.

Type & Classification
3.2 Interlocking solid

Dimensions
5.0 in x 3.5 in x 2.0 in

Materials & Construction
Walnut and Maple. Construction, fit and finish is well above average and everything works as intended. Lacika (or Laszlo as he known) is an amateur wood worker and has put in a very good effort to make three copies of the puzzle for me.

Overview
The 69 was one of my two entries for the IPP35 Nob Yoshigahara Puzzle Design Competition. The object is to rearrange the pieces in the box to form the #9. Starting position of the puzzle is a #6. 

Solution
WARNING: The link here shows the solution. Password - jerryloo69
DO NOT click on the link if you do not wish to see it. 
NOTE: Turning the puzzle upside down 180 degrees is NOT the solution. 


Difficulty Level
I would grade it a 6.5/10 to 7/10 but based on feedback I received from some puzzlers who have played with the 69, apparently its not easy; somewhere in between moderate to difficult. There are a couple ways to solve the 69 but only one which requires the minimal number of moves.

Summary
This is not just your typical packing puzzle where you try to fit all the pieces flush into a tray. I have added a bit of a "twist" to this one to surprise the puzzler. 

10 comments:

  1. My solution is to rotate the puzzle 180 degrees! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, thanks for highlighting and reminding me this!

      Delete
  2. Looks great and a nice concept. Do you plan to produce it in quantity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Some people have asked for it but it all depends whether Lacika Kmolnar can make some more. Or another craftsman willing to make some copies. Are you keen to get one?

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed, put me on the list. No Loo designs in my collection yet. need to rectify that.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mike, I am asking someone to see if he can make some copies of the 69 as I have gotten some queries. Can you email me via my blog email so that we can communicate further, I don't think I have your email. Thanks

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic! You really do have some great skills with your designs falling into several categories of puzzling. I was impressed with your Ball in cylinder puzzles but now you are doing beautiful wood too!

    Hopefully Laszlo will make a few more for more of us to play with! I have just completed his Triagonal Agony which was a very clever challenge!

    Kevin
    Puzzlemad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! Yes, Laszlo's designs are very good!

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful Jerry! Great idea and well executed.

    ReplyDelete